Rated 5 out of 5 by james979 guest
Great experience. Great service from the staff. I would highly recommend.
May 3, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by RichandJulie Breathtaking but lots of steps!
We travelled to Oia after staying at the Starwood property in Mykonos. Both are very spectacular in their own ways. Mystique is a breathtaking property, the views are spectacular and the facilities are magnificent. However, it is a vertical hotel, with many steps. It was not a problem for us, but some of the guests struggled with the steps. Our room was awesome, a cave, with a sitting room and separate bedroom and a private balcony. The bathroom was adequate but on the small side and our shower leaked, a minor inconvenience. The staff is what makes these resorts so memorable, they provide great customer service and are very friendly. We ate at both restaurants and the food was outstanding. Breakfast by the pool was incredible, the perfect food and the views of the Caldera. We were celebrating our anniversary and we were thrilled with the Mystique, it is romantic and such an unique property. Oia is a beautiful city, streets made of marble. We took a sunset sailing tour that was great. One of the highlights of the trip was a wine tour and cooking class with SAFOWI, Santorini Wine and Food Tours. It was very educational and fun. We also did the cliff walk from Thira to Oia, which was challenging but incredible. If you want luxury in an unparalleled location, you can't miss with Mystique.
October 13, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by cucu1965 Terrible experience - this is no Luxury Collection
I will start this review with an appreciation for the courtesy and flexibility of Drahana and the whole reception staff - but this is going to be just the only positive comment I can make about Mystique.
The resort is a complete disappointment and honestly I do not understand how it is classified as Cat 7 and part of the Luxury Collection at all.
The standard room that we had booked (for more than 500 EUR/night!) was basically a cave with NO WINDOWS, deep inside the rocks and barely larger than the king size bed, A basic bathroom faced the bed and almost obstructed the entrance. Next to a huge old time air conditioning device, a movable dehumidifier - obviously a patch to fight the humidity and the bed smell of the cave. We started to complain saying that a room like that could not belong to a luxury resort and we were told that Mystique was "a different kind of luxury". We refused to spend the night in that room - my wife asked the staff to prepare her bed for the night on the microscopic terrace using the sun deck chairs. At this point the hotel manager started to worry, and after a frantic round of phone calls offered us to stay in a house in the village for the first night - as they would be able to upgrade us to a "suite" the following day. Indeed, the second day we were moved to a better room, which anyway was small and cheaply furnished - nothing by any means in common with the many Cat 7 resorts we have stayed at around the world. In the new room, the internet connection did not work at the beginning, and after several attempts by the staff to fix it, kept breaking down all the time and was anyway terribly slow when it was on. No-name cheap bathroom amenities, XXS bathrobes. Similarly cheap bed linens and sheet. Almost no place to hang our stuff. Small TV set with few channels in poor quality.
So much for our accommodation... the hotel has two very small pools, no lobby, no private parking (it is usual that guests rent a car to visit the island).
As it was said by other reviewers, there is a serious safety issue,as one is forced to walk up and down steep stairs with no handrail ...some of these stair were not illuminated at night. The shower in our room was very hard and risky to access, as one had to climb and jump over a sort of slippery wall (all this defined as "traditional" by the hotel).
All in all: I cannot figure out how a resort like this could be sold as Cat 7 and priced accordingly. I have been in Santorini a few times, and I have stayed at several Cat 7 establishments. The beauty of the island cannot compensate for the miserable standard of this resort and justify the steep rates one has to pay.
October 1, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by tadow66 AMAZING HOTEL
This is a once in a lifetime hotel destination. The staff goes out of the way to make you feel special. This hotel was extremely relaxing and had amazing views. You will not be disappointed with this hotel.
September 9, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by happycamper77 absolute paradise
everything about the hotel was great. location is magnificent. food, rooms, staff all top notch.
will hopefully come back soon
July 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Traveler60 Incredible Location!
Hanging over the caldera, the views are unforgettable. What makes this hotel excellent though is the hard work at maintenance and training the staff receives which is evident throughout. The many different fresh juices made to order at breakfast to the sushi at ASEA in the evening- all is top notch. The Hotel is an oasis unto itself- away from the maddening crowd of Oia and Fira. The only reason we did not give 5 stars in all categories is because the rooms are essentially caves faced directly at the bright sun each morning. They are meticulously cleaned, the wifi works even at our long distance from the lobby and there are often welcome surprises in our room when we return to it in the late afternoon, such as champagne, bouquets of flowers, fresh fruit and decadent desserts. A hotel and trip we will always remember with smiles. Don't bring high heels and be prepared to walk daily up and down a lot of steep, uneven steps. It is a UNESCO site and well worth the effort to experience.
July 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by stjules Disgrace to SPG Category 7 level
Mystique was a very disappointing end to our honeymoon. The facilities are in dire need of renovations and the front desk manager needs additional hospitality training. It is disgraceful to call this a Category 7 SPG hotel.
Based on online reviews we were initially sad Mystique was not available for the entire week of our stay in Santorini. We ended up booking Andronis Luxury Suites for the first 3-nights. It is now time to leave and thank god we spent the first 3-nights at Andronis. Which was more central, beautifully maintained and the staff was top notch. The last 3-nights at Mystique were a nightmare and we cannot wait to go home in the morning. What a horrible way to end our honeymoon! The specifics are as follows:
1. Luggage – The night before the hotel switch I asked Mystique’s front desk manager, Anisa, if they could help with our luggage from Andronis in the morning since we scheduled a 9AM catamaran tour. She asked me why I didn’t ask Andronis to send it instead… I told her since we were checking INTO Mystique wouldn’t Andronis have the same question for us about you guys? We didn’t even take their courtesy shuttle from the airport which is 30 minutes away vs. the 5 min drive from Andronis.
2. Quality control – We booked the Spiritual Suite & Spa which is one of their more expensive suites and features a private fitness room and an in-bathroom Jacuzzi. As soon as we walked into our room we were hit with a gust of hot damp stale air. It was obviously coming from the Jacuzzi inside the bathroom. I tried turning up the A/C but hardly anything came out of the vents so I tried opening the window in the bathroom. To my surprise the window was broken as was the floor standing dehumidifier in the bedroom. We called the front desk and they sent a technician. We spent the next 1.5 hours waiting for them to diagnose the issues. The technician’s diagnosis was the A/C was only a level 2 so we will just have to wait for the room to cool down, they were going to order the window part in the morning and the dehumidifier was broken. Anisa, their front desk manager showed up after the technician left and her recommended solution was to keep the bathroom door closed. It is now day-3 and let me tell you it is still a swamp in here despite having the a/c on max and the bathroom door closed all the time. We’ve spent the last 3 nights sweating in bed and getting eaten by mosquitos because the broken window in the bathroom is the only ventilation in there. The dehumidifier is still broken and unplugged in the corner. We finally asked them to drain the Jacuzzi completely since it has become unbearable. For comparison the a/c at Andronis was so cold we had to turn it off despite having a similar setup plus a pool. We also didn’t realize there were mosquitoes in Santorini until we showed up at Mystique.
3. Cleanliness – Our room also featured an outdoor Jacuzzi but it was entirely useless since the bottom was covered in debris and the top featured a layer of dead bugs. We told Anisa about it when she came by the first night and she blamed the high winds from the night before and that we should feel free to call them to clean it. That would be totally understandable but it was already 4PM in the afternoon… Also don’t hotels regularly check and clean guest facilities before check-in, never mind a Category 7 SPG one? Our room also featured a layer of soot on the floors and a blood splattered mosquito on the wall over our bed. It is now day 3 and the outdoor Jacuzzi is still unsanitary for human use and the mosquito memento is still there… For comparison our room at Andronis was spotless. The indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi and pool was cleaned 2x a day and the floor was so clean you could probably eat off of them. Housekeeping folded our clothes and left thank you notes when we left gratuities.
4. Safety – Because our room is so damp and hot my wife wanted to lie on the couch in the nude to cool off after a shower around 1PM. To her surprise an unannounced hotel employee suddenly opened the door and tried to come in. My wife was in shock and screamed for him to leave. It turns out he was trying to deliver some fruit to our room but he didn’t even bother to ring the doorbell! Around 3PM housekeeping wanted to clean our room but we asked them to come back in half an hour. We left for a hike to the bay about 20 minutes later and noticed the master housekeeping key was left in the cylinder on the outside of our door. We didn’t think too much of it since we thought housekeeping was coming back soon. When we came back to the room around 7:30PM the master key was still on the door and our room was still dirty. Basically the key to every room in the hotel including ours was left on our door for almost 5 hours. If anything valuable is missing who is to blame and who is responsible?
5. Management – The front desk manager Anisa was less than helpful during our entire stay. Aside from the before mentioned issues she constantly talked over us when we tried to explain the situation and without fail ALWAYS put the blame on us. When we called about the key in the door and dirty room she blamed us for not being ready when housekeeping came by. When we told her about the swamp in our room she asked why we didn’t close the door. We did and in fact we asked them to drain it eventually. By the way if the A/C isn’t sufficient to cool the room shouldn’t you either upgrade the A/C or take the Jacuzzi out? Don’t blame your guests! When the Jacuzzi or floors were dirty she blamed us for not calling them to clean it even though that was why I was calling in the first place. I told her the bedroom TV, speakers in the suite and exercise bicycle has not worked from day one and she without fail asked me why I didn’t call to let them know? I told her the shower leaked water all over the floor and into the bedroom and she asked me if I was showering correctly. Is it my job to inspect the rooms and call every day to report issues? What is the primary function of her role then?
I am so disappointed with our stay at Mystique. It was supposed to be a magical ending to our honeymoon. Instead we were treated with disrespect and the accommodations were subpar even for a motel never mind a Luxury Collection Category 7 SPG hotel. This is our 4th Luxury Collection hotel and no way does Mystique deserve this designation and should be dropped by SPG completely. It cost us over a $1,000 a night to stay here and it basically ruined our honeymoon.
June 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by teaandcake Fantastic Hotel, Amazing Staff
My fiance and I loved our stay at 5-night Mystique - it's a beautiful hotel with an amazing staff. They've thought of everything here, and their level of attention to detail shows. Do take advantage of the well-connected concierge staff - they were incredibly helpful with restaurant reservations and recommendations, along with coordinating activities on the island. We did a semi-private sunset cruise on a catamaran (along with a swim to the hot springs by the volcano), what ended up being a private wine tasting and cooking experience, and an ATV rental for the day, all at the recommendation of the concierge, and we loved each. Rooms are spacious and well appointed (with an incredible Caldera view), and as Starwood Gold members, we were graciously granted a significant upgrade. Breakfast at the property is also luxe - would highly recommend the scrambled egg & tomato dish, the yoghurt, and the sweet pancakes all from the Greek Breakfast menu. Loved every minute of our vacation at Mystique, and we can't wait to go back.
May 17, 2014